Here’s the first recipe of a long saga of veggie bowls I’m planning on posting. The plant kingdom is so vast, the combinations are virtually infinite!
I usually follow the rule: 3 veggies + 1 fruit + 1 legume. The one I’m bringing today is within the norm (but rules are made to be broken sometimes, and I’ll post some outlaw bowls too).
Today we are using the steamer. If you don’t have one, you can simmer the ingredients in a pot, but I highly recommend a steamer in every kitchen (it keeps flavours and textures really nice). I used baked sweet potatoes, as I had used the oven a couple of days before but you can simmer them in the pot of the steamer instead of baking them to save time and energy.
Remember, always try to take advantage of powering up the oven to cook more than one dish at a time. Sweet potatoes, potatoes, and butternut squash are so versatile (and you can keep them baked in the fridge for at least a couple of days), I always bake some of them everytime I use the oven for another dish. Veggie bowls are a great opportunity to use those baked vegetables! (take a look a the oven dishes for more ideas and you can also visit the eco-tips section for more eco-friendly ways of cooking).
- 2-3 carrots
- a big handful of green beans
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
- 6-7 leaves of cavolo nero (or kale)
- 1 red apple
- Veganaise (optional)
- Sweet chili sauce (optional)
- If you don’t have the sweet potatoes already baked, wash them thoroughly, chop into squares and cover them with water in the pot of the steamer. Leave it with high heat and the lid on.
- Meanwhile, wash and chop the carrots into slices, and wash the beans, get rid of strings and stems and cut them in half. Put both together in the first level of the steamer. When the water in the pot starts to boil, lower the heat and time 25 minutes.
- Wash the cavolo nero, chop it and add it to the second level of the steamer after the carrots and beans have been there for 15 minutes (cavolo nero only needs 10 minutes of steam).
- Meanwhile, chop the apple into squares. You can pour some drops of lemon juice to avoid browning.
- Once the steamed vegetables are ready, check on the sweet potato in the pot (if you’ve picked this option) and leave for 5-10 minutes more if necessary.
- Display all the ingredients in a bowl and add veganaise and sweet chili sauce to taste.